Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Seeing Debbie Harry sing jazz is like smoking a salmon after sex

This was written (now hopefully, paraphrased by me) by Austin rock critic Michael Corcoran about Blondie's blondie fronting the self-explained Jazz Passengers. It gives you an idea of what to expect. It reports. It's funny. And, it clearly speaks opinion.

This is one of my favorite music critic quotes. I can give you others by Rolling Stone's David Fricke, Spin's Chuck Klosterman and now Heaven's Lester Bangs. But, give me 10 minutes and AskJeeves, and anyone can give 200 more that aren't.

Last year, longtime Los Angeles Times music critic Robert Hilburn begged people to name a better guitarist in the rock game than White Stripes' Jack White. I couldn't, many shouldn't.

Few have done, what now-finally veteran critic Andy Langer does--explain that 'yes, he is the best. And yes, you don't have to love every track.' The following are excerpts from Langer's insightful Get Behind Me Satan review in Esquire.
* "Satan is at once brilliant and boring."
* " ... Get Behind Me Satan truly succeeds, it's for the same reason that the predecessor did: It's an album completely out of touch with the times."
* "The simple chorus and jiggly Motown strut make 'My Doorbell' the catchiest four minutes of their career."
* "... Get Behind Me Satan left me feeling like I'd waded through Elephant 2 "Electric Boogaloo."

---------

In ode to the daily spinning: from An Aquarium Drunkard, listeners of albums should be given the choice of listening to singles instead of entire albums, except in the case of Richard Buckner's The Hill.

6 Comments:

At 1:29 AM, Blogger Satisfied '75 said...

I just purloined a copy of the new white stripes from a friend. Need to give it a spin.

 
At 7:58 AM, Blogger princessmalin said...

1. interesting quote, especially the use of s-es. funny how the sentiment would be altered if you substituted sex for spaghetti.

2. richard buckner. what about willie's red-headed-stranger album? unlike the former, he at least doesn't make me want to cry my eyes out.

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger CHW said...

Better than White? Hmmm...I could go with Wilco's Nils Cline. Or Fugazi's Ian MacKaye. Or Radiohead's Jonny Greenwood. Or...

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger Satisfied '75 said...

I had a chance to briefly listen to this album in the car. I like the fact it is more toned down...cool direction.

 
At 10:20 PM, Blogger jsbankston said...

Here's a scary thought---right now I look like I'm sharing Jack White's hairdresser.

 
At 10:20 PM, Blogger jsbankston said...

Here's a scary thought---right now I look like I'm sharing Jack White's hairdresser.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker