Sunday, August 07, 2005

Dylan gets statisfaction as the godfather of a generation on the road

Thanks to an anonymous tip, I was pointed to U.K. magazine Uncut's list of 100 music, movie and TV moments that have changed the world.

To celebrate the magazine's 100th issue and develop this list, they got together a panel that included the following people: Keith Richards, Paul McCartney, Patti Smith, Michael Stipe, Lou Reed, Paul Weller, Noel Gallagher, Chris Martin, Robert Downey Jr., Alice Cooper, Moby, Ozzy Osbourne and others. How can you argue with a list that has Bob Dylan at the top of all and Jack Kerouac headlining the writers?

Here's the top 20:
1. Bob Dylan “Like a Rolling Stone”
2. Elvis “Heartbreak Hotel”
3. The Beatles “She Loves You”
4. The Rolling Stones “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction”
5. A Clockwork Orange
6. The Godfather and The Godfather II
7. David Bowie “The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust”
8. Taxi Driver
9. Sex Pistols “Never Mind The Bollocks Here’s the Sex Pistols”
10. The Prisoner
11. The Wild Bunch
12. The Velvet Underground “The Velvet Underground And Nico”
13. Jimi Hendrix “Purple Haze”
14. The Simpsons
15. Neil Young “After the Gold Rush”
16. Ramones “Ramones”
17. The Beach Boys “Pet Sounds”
18. The Who “My Generation”
19. Jack Kerouac “On The Road”
20. Joy Division “Unknown Pleasures”

I recall hearing Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" on the radio for the first time. I had already been a big fan of early AC/DC, Sex Pistols and Iggy Pop, but never thought I would get to hear anything raw and loud like that on popular radio. I don't turn on Nirvana as much as I should, but I still give them credit for popularizing 'alternative' music. No matter how bad it gets, it will still be better than the one-time radio dial of Casey Kasem's American Top 40.

One other thing that I learned today, Britain still makes the best music magazines.

11 Comments:

At 1:00 PM, Blogger funkysmell said...

interesting


www.funkysmell.com

 
At 2:47 PM, Blogger jsbankston said...

Interesting. I can't believe the top 20 isn't jammed with Van Morrison stuff. (I've never been able to understand his appeal. His performing affectations have always gotten on my nerves, but that can be said of many, many musicians.)

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger Satisfied '75 said...

Uncut! one of my favorite reads. Pricey little bugger though.

Sounds like a cool issue. Speaking of Nirvana, I saw "last Days"/...dogshit

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger princessmalin said...

ask any girl out there what one pre-teen book changed her life, and she'll resoundingly answer: "are you there god? it's me, margaret." realize that's not enough of a fan-base to change the world, but still ... would be nice to see something a little less *guy* on a list like that.

 
At 10:38 AM, Blogger TripleJ said...

Blume's "Forever" is a book that got passed around by both teenage sexes. Was it Chapter 7?

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger incognato said...

I found Joy Division interesting to be on there. Pretty cool list overal.

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger jsbankston said...

When will this mag get out to us in the fly-over states?

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger TripleJ said...

I bet you can get it right now at Barnes & Noble. If they carry Mojo, they will carry this.

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger Scrubby Nub and The Bothered Brigade said...

Great post. Nirvana just never(mind) gets old.

Y1 went to see Last Days last night. Haven't heard his take, but I'm sorry to hear it's shite.

I've seen Uncut once or twice before. I should start checking it out regularly.

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger jsbankston said...

Polls like that are always interesting, whether you agree with them or not. Back when MTV showed music videos, I remember every so often they'd have some show announcing the "100 Greatest Videos of All Time" and the big winners would always be ones that had come out in recent months and hadn't yet stood the test of time.

The same thing often happens with movies, where people announce that, say, "Schindler's List" or "Titanic" were greater films than "Chinatown" or "The 400 Blows."

I guess I'm just too much of an historian or maybe just an old fart--I'm very reluctant to heap praise on something that you can't view from a distance.

 
At 7:17 PM, Blogger jsbankston said...

What date is that mag? The "Uncut" I saw on the stands today is for August.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker