Tuesday, August 02, 2005

My block: 1pm

"Charles in Charge"

This is Charles' house. His family moved to this house in 1946. You can barely see him. He's next to man with the cane, under the van. In addition to these vehicles, he owns an old model Ford, an 80s-era Camaro and a new model 18-wheeler that he drives for work. He spends his weekends working on his cars because as he once told me, he's got to get them running so he can move them to the other side of the street on Monday and Tuesday for street cleaning.

"Framed"

This house was purchased in late June for 1.1 million dollars. This is what the house looks like today.

"Out of Business"

Fifteen years ago, this was the site of the neighborhood grocery store. Charles told me that.

"It Pays to Recycle"

This is Rosa's house. She lives here with eight other people. On Tuesday mornings, she collects my bottles and cans. Sometimes, she remembers my dog's name.

7 Comments:

At 5:07 PM, Anonymous JJones said...

I'm tried to come up with some witty comment about the housing prices in SoCal, but I'm just dumbfouded. Another house, over by my friend's home on Abbot Kinney sold for 1.2 million and it's no bigger than the one you show here. Unbelievable.

 
At 7:13 PM, Blogger jsbankston said...

Too...much...sunlight!

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger JMH said...

Cool idea. Reminds me of the movie "Smoke", where the main character (forget his name right now) takes a photo outside his shop everyday at the same time.

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger TripleJ said...

Funny, I was thinking of that movie, too.

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger jsbankston said...

One of the coolest things about that movie was the story about how someone--Sir Walter Raleigh, perhaps--decided to measure how much smokes weighed by weighing a cigar, smoking it, then weighing all the ash, with the difference thereby being the weight of smoke.

I never saw the sequel, "Blue in the Face," though.

 
At 2:57 PM, Blogger Satisfied '75 said...

"Smoke" was such a great flick. Was it a Jim Jarmusch film?

TripleJ, supercool post. I could see this turning into a REALLY cool coffee table book after you're done with it. I'd buy it.

 
At 12:23 AM, Blogger jsbankston said...

No, it was directed by Wayne Wang, whose previous works included "The Joy Luck Club" (1993)," and "Life Is Cheap... But Toilet Paper Is Expensive" (1989). But I think Jarmusch was in "Blue in the Face."

BTW, I would love to join Jarmusch's secret society, "The Sons of Lee Marvin."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker