Sunday, August 14, 2005

My only competition is myself

Jack Kerouac. Frida Kahlo. Bob Dylan. Pamela Anderson.

These are names without competition. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for mine.

For years, I've tracked my place in the hierarchy of Jeremy Reeds. Type my name into Google (and yes, you know you do it too) and information relevant to me doesn't come up until page six, and I am not talking about this Page Six.

In order, here are the ones I'm tracking:

1. Jeremy Reed (pro baseball player)
I've kept an eye on this guy since he first made Google's page one as a top high school prospect. At 24, he is currently playing for the Seattle Mariners and batting .253. In his second year, his salary (without endorsements) is $316,000. This is the Jeremy Reed to watch.




2. Jeremy Reed (poet, author)
It was in the mid-90s with this discovery that I realized life would hold some obstacles. I came upon this writer on a trip to THE Beats bookstore, City Lights. Not only did I find his titles there, but damn if some of them weren't also published by City Lights Books.

I've since come to not only like Reed's writings (especially the Rimbaud bio, Delirium), but I've found a sense of 'shared fame' by placing his titles on my bookcases. Now if only Bjork, who called Reed's poetry, "the most beautiful gorgeous outrageously brilliant poetry in the universe," would mistake me for him.

3. Jeremy Reed (movie character)
This is the name of the pale character in the 1995 movie, Powder. The film starred Sean Patrick Flanery as Jeremy "Powder" Reed. I will not see this movie. And, I encourage others to do the same. This is the Jeremy Reed that I believe can be unseeded.

13 Comments:

At 7:03 AM, Blogger incognato said...

My brother worked on Powder and when they broke down everything at the end of shooting, he managed to grab a full size bed for me (which was great because i was broke and fresh out of college). It didn't have any electric vibes, so I doubt it was Powder's.

With that said, I've seen the movie and agree with tripleJ's recommendation---skip it.

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger tj1972 said...

I come up No. 1 on Google, but it's only because I have a unique name. My mention is as a bridesmaid. Your 6th page placement is much more impressive.

And, other than #3 on your list (who I think you've surpassed), you are in good company.

 
At 9:42 AM, Blogger Scrubby Nub and The Bothered Brigade said...

The first person to pop up with my name is on the Pro Bass fishing circuit. He's from a town about 30 miles north of my home town. He's killing my steez.

 
At 10:53 AM, Blogger tastho said...

First to pop up with my name is a disco diva, famous for "Shoot Me With Your Love." Who doesn't remember that classic?

There are about 32 pages after, devoted to her as well, so who knows if THIS Tasha ever pops up in there amongst all that disco?... I like the nightlife, I like to boogie...

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger princessmalin said...

it took me several weeks to realize that you were not the jeremy reed poet author guy. dead serious. and then i remember thinking: wow, he has a lot of his own books on his book shelf. which was immediately followed by: should i ask about the books or is that super-lame. luckily i then realized that you're just triple-j. and not the fancy poet author. not saying you're not fancy, btw. but your kind of fancy is more along the lines of music-savvy, bacon-loving, read-a-book-at-the-bar ...

 
At 12:47 PM, Blogger CHW said...

I went to see the Mariners play the Red Sox not too long ago and when the announcer kept saying "Jeremy Reed at bat" I kept snickering.

I'm also the one and only coming up on Google.

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger jsbankston said...

I seem to be sui generis too.

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger TripleJ said...

You are all very lucky.

The only person I think comes close to feeling my pain is Michael Jackson, the foremost authority on beer. He is at the top of his field and I am sure he opens most conversations/speeches with "No, not that Michael Jackson."

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger TripleJ said...

Well, maybe tastho and scrubby nub can.

 
At 7:16 PM, Blogger Satisfied '75 said...

p.s. I like the new look on here

 
At 9:09 AM, Blogger jsbankston said...

A friend of mine worked at a Houston Denny's for a manager named Kirk Douglas. And in college I knew a part-time male stripper/gigolo who wanted to go into acting, but was hampered by his name: Richard Burton.

 
At 9:17 AM, Anonymous JJones said...

That's quite something. I also have quite a few 'alter-egos'.

Mine include a pro snowboarder, pro pool player, a Kiwi polo player and a serial killer! No really, a serial killer who apparently is still on the loose.

www.jeremyjones.com (the gentleman from England is quite the character)

BTW, you make me want to keep my blog updated.

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger TripleJ said...

Nice to see you, Mr. Jones.

I feel for you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker