Saturday, August 13, 2005

The New Yorker gets Targeted

On Monday, The New Yorker will publish its first issue with a sole advertiser: Target.

How many perfume-tainted pages do you think you have to go through in the current Vanity Fair with Jennifer Aniston on the cover - before you get to the first piece of editorial content? Stop guessing ... 188.

Here are the important facts regarding the Target print campaign:

  • Target will run these ads in 17 or 18 pages of August 22 issue.

  • The ads will be illustrations by more than two dozen artists like Milton Glaser, Robert Risko and Ruben Toledo.

  • The artists were given these instructions: ".... the ads had to use the Target bull's-eye and had to have New York themes" and use only the colors "red and white, for the Target logo, and black."

  • Based on the current New Yorker rate card, The New York Times estimates the ad buy to be around 1.1 million.

  • The New York Times asked New Yorker editor, David Remnick for his thoughts. He said this: "Ads are ads, and I have no problem at all with Target's advertising a lot, all at once, or a page at a time."

    Go here for the full story.

    4 Comments:

    At 8:31 PM, Blogger jsbankston said...

    I have a question about womens' magazines. (Hey--I only look at them when I go ion for my bikini waxing).

    How the hell do you find the table of contents in those things? There's hundreds of pages of advertising before the actual text starts.

    On the other hand, one of my main complaints about "Texas Monthly" over the years is they have so many ads in the front and back. I realize that's great for TM, but it's tiresome for someone like me with a short attention span.

    Which reminds me of a joke I heard:

    Q: How many ADD kids does it take to change a lightbulb?

    A: Let's go ride bikes!

     
    At 4:32 PM, Blogger lilihammer said...

    After my nephew was diagnosed with ADD, he ran around telling everyone that joke, roaring with laughter every time. Kids are funny. And weird.

     
    At 8:40 PM, Blogger sasefina said...

    Bankston - who needs a table of contents in a women's mag? We're mainly just looking at the pretty pretty pictures. I hate to say it, but I skip over even semi-serious artticles. If I want to keep up on world events I'll read the Economist.

    And I actually think that's really cool what the New Yorker is doing with Target. It's another stride for mass market design, and what a good thing that is.

     
    At 9:14 AM, Blogger jsbankston said...

    Sasefina, actually the only reason I check women's mags are for articles on show biz, travel, or houses.

    I have a strong researching streak to me, as well as a world-class anal-retentiveness and OCD. As a result, I'm always trying to impose order upon my world and categorize things. Probably using tables of contents and indices are part of that.

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home

    eXTReMe Tracker