Tuesday, September 27, 2005

A blogger makes more than an all-star guard

Parade magazine sucks. Yet, I pull it out each week from the Sunday paper hoping it's the What People Earn issue.
    It always makes me think of the Ben & Jerry's philosophy on salaries - The salary of the top man is capped at seven times the average pay for staff.

    But even their thinking has changed. See this excerpt from a recent Mother Jones article:

    "A wage scale used to limit top salaries to seven times the lowest pay, but the company abandoned that practice and now operates on a "compressed salary ratio." That means top officials are given the low-end of a competitive salary, and entry-level permanent workers are given the high end of nationally-compared wages after one year of work. There's no longer a numerical salary ratio between highest- and lowest-paid employees, and the company has become extremely hush-hush about giving out salary information. Ben & Jerry's would not tell the MoJo Wire what the salary of an entry-level worker is after a year's worth of work. "

    I am always amazed at salaries and how they differ within organizations and across occupations. In 1972, New York magazine started their own 'Salaries' issue. Here are some highlights from their recent installment.
    • David Neeleman $286,971, Chairman and CEO, JetBlue Airways
    • Chelsea Clinton $120,000, Consultant, McKinsey & Co.
    • Chris (last name withheld) $24,000, Panhandler, Bleecker and Broadway
    • Shannon Stallings $45,922, First-year public defender, Legal Aid Society
    • Laura Held $126,072, Parking-violation judge
    • Pat Kiernan $200,000, Anchor, NY1 (Local News)
    • Maggie Gyllenhaal $500,000, Actress
    • David Schmidt $8,736, Kim’s Video clerk (28 hours/week at $6/hour)
    • John Lennon $21 million, Deceased singer-songwriter
    • Diddy $36 million, Rapper, superhyphenate
    • Malcolm Gladwell $1.5 million, Author, Blink (advance, plus $250,000 New Yorker salary and $30,000 per speaking engagement)
    • Sam Tanenhaus $180,000, Editor, The New York Times Book Review
    • Richard Johnson $300,000, "Page Six" gossip columnist
    • Will Shortz $90,000, Crossword editor, the New York Times
    • Jim Romenesko $169,187, Blogger, the Poynter Institute
    • Jessica Coen $30,000, Blogger, Gawker.com
    • Parakash Patel $14,400, Newsstand operator, 50th St and Third Ave
    • Adrian Awasom $230,000, Rookie defensive end, Giants
    • Barry Diller $156,168,000, Chairman and CEO, IAC/InterActiveCorp
    • Becky Hammon $89,000, All-Star guard, New York Liberty
    • Gregory Burke $18,444, Private first class, United States Army, stationed in Iraq (includes $130 monthly hazardous-duty fee)
    • Lori Lyons $48,996, Garbagewoman
    • Santiago Segovia $11,440, Parking-garage attendant
    • Adam H. Becker $60,000, Assistant professor, classics and religion, NYU
    • Jonathan Arak $120,000, SAT tutor, Princeton Review
    • Eva Ferka $30,000, Reservationist, Alto
    • Jamal Khandaker $11,200, Hot-dog and pretzel vendor, Broadway and Warren Street

    Here's a link to the complete list and article.

    --------

    In case you're wondering, NJK's compensation ratio/policy (me-to-Bankston) stands at 1-to-1. Unlike Ben & Jerry's, we do not see a need to adjust at this time.

    12 Comments:

    At 10:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Maxwell Smart's gadget legacy
    The late Don Adams, perhaps best known as Maxwell Smart on a 1960s TV series that spoofed James Bond movies, is being remembered all around the Web for his comedic performances, his unforgettable wry voice, and ...
    Find out how you can buy and sell anything like music on interest free credit and pay back whenever you want! Exchange ads on anything, like music free of charge!

     
    At 11:06 PM, Blogger Satisfied '75 said...

    Satisfied '75 = -$50/year after server costs for radio.

     
    At 9:03 AM, Blogger princessmalin said...

    panhandling pulls in 24K per year? all of a sudden my life seems *full* of possibilities ...

     
    At 9:48 AM, Blogger incognato said...

    I would like 1/7 of the salary the top man in my company is getting.

    And a new boat.

    Very interesting perspective there, triple J. good one.

     
    At 11:33 AM, Blogger CHW said...

    HOW THE HELL DOES A PAGE 6 GOSSIP COLUMNIST MAKE $300K? THAT IS ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS.

     
    At 1:58 PM, Blogger jsbankston said...

    I also punish myself by looking at the "What People Earn" issue. It always makes me want to eat a bullet. It drives home what a random farce and a wasteful dice throw life usually is.

    If nothing else, they should at least change the title to "What People Make," because I would seriously question that most of those fuckwits and shit-heels earn what they're bringing in.

     
    At 2:04 PM, Blogger jsbankston said...

    Whoever the rat-prick-bastard is who keeps spamming your site, though, earns his salary for his persistence and hard work, if nothing else.

     
    At 5:57 AM, Blogger musica said...

    Hey, I was searching blogs, and came onto yours, and I like it. I kinda landed here on accident while searching for something esle, but nice blog.. I got you bookmarked.
    If you got time , go visit my site, it´s about premature ejaculation cure It pretty much covers premature ejaculation cure and other similar topics available.

     
    At 2:42 PM, Blogger usersanonimos said...

    Hey, I was searching blogs, and came onto yours, and I like it. I kinda landed here on accident while searching for something esle, but nice blog.. I got you bookmarked.
    If you got time , go visit my site, it´s about prevent premature ejaculation It pretty much covers prevent premature ejaculation and other similar topics available.

     
    At 6:59 PM, Blogger musica said...

    Hey, I was searching blogs, and came onto yours, and I like it. I kinda landed here on accident while searching for something esle, but nice blog.. I got you bookmarked.
    If you got time , go visit my site, it´s about stop premature ejaculation It pretty much covers stop premature ejaculation and other similar topics available.

     
    At 8:08 AM, Blogger usersanonimos said...

    Hey, I was searching blogs, and came onto yours, and I like it. I kinda landed here on accident while searching for something esle, but nice blog.. I got you bookmarked.
    If you got time , go visit my site, it´s about premature ejaculation treatment It pretty much covers premature ejaculation treatment and other similar topics available.

     
    At 5:35 PM, Blogger usersanonimos said...

    Hey, I was searching blogs, and came onto yours, and I like it. I kinda landed here on accident while searching for something esle, but nice blog.. I got you bookmarked.
    If you got time , go visit my site, it´s about premature ejaculation treatment It pretty much covers premature ejaculation treatment and other similar topics available.

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home

    eXTReMe Tracker