Monday, September 05, 2005

Feelin' the Payne

This is Waylon Payne. His mother sang the song, "Help Me Make It Through the Night." His dad is Willie's longtime guitarist. And the Waylon in his name was taken from his godfather, Waylon Jennings.

I first heard Payne sitting on a grass lawn in San Pedro, eating lobster off plastic, with good friends. (I was so blown away that afternoon that I actually tracked Payne down in front of a throw-a-ring-around-a-milk-bottle-and-win-a-stuffed-something stand and told him so.)

The second time, I was alone waiting for Billy Joe Shaver to take the stage in a Hollywood club.

Later, I learned Payne had spent many years riding shotgun on guitar for Shelby Lynne.

Come November, all of us will know who the younger Payne is when he portrays Jerry Lee Lewis in the Johnny Cash biopic, Walk the Line. Here's a couple reasons why:
Joaquin Phoenix as Johnny Cash
Reese Witherspoon as June Carter
Shelby Lynne as Carrie Cash
Johnny Holiday as Elvis Presley
Shooter Jennings as Waylon Jennings

-----------

In 2004, Waylon Payne released The Drifter. It's good. I wish it was better. Go here and click on MEDIA to decide for yourself.

1 Comments:

At 8:57 PM, Blogger princessmalin said...

reese witherspoon & shelby lynne. two of my favorite girlies. so perfectly fabulous.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker