Saturday, September 03, 2005

Forty-four troops pressed together in their truck, swaying as one at every bump and turn like reeds in a river ...

Good morning.

I have halted publication of the My Block series for now. It will be completed soon. And, I believe it has its place and purpose.

Today's place and purpose is being captured, with a rare mix of compassion and accuracy, by Houston-based Los Angeles Times' reporter Scott Gold. Unlike Bush, who only took in a double-feature, entitled the "The Wet South," Gold has been on the ground in New Orleans, filing several stories a day since the beginning. Gold is a close friend of tj1972. And like many who frequent this blog, I am told that he'll travel states to see a good band.

So leave here and go there.

---------------

You should also thank Gold's coverage for delaying the launch of my next endeavor: a 60-part series that begins, "My bathroom: 12:04pm."

3 Comments:

At 4:05 AM, Blogger JMH said...

What's up with all this spam shit? I think you can turn off comments from anonymous bloggers. Great work by Mr. Gold, I just read his articles, some of the best writing I have seen on this tragic event. More people should turn off their televisions and tune into journalists like Gold who are reporting what is really going on.

 
At 5:13 PM, Blogger jsbankston said...

I agree on Gold's work. It has a Breslinesque tone and sympathy for those who have been shafted by this tragedy.

I need to turn off the TV and keep away from the computer and just watch some escapist movies or something--this coverage is really wearing me down.

 
At 11:23 PM, Blogger jsbankston said...

http://www.nytimes.com/
2005/09/05/opinion/05herbert.html
?oref=login

The subhead to this piece, "Bush to New Orleans: Drop Dead," gave me chills. "Ford to NYC: Drop Dead" being the famous "NY Post" headline when the Federal government refused to bail out NYC in the mid-seventies when it was going bankrupt.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker