Sunday, September 25, 2005

"Well, here's a love song I wrote about this girl, and somehow it became an anthem for premature ejaculation."

Cameron Crowe was writing for Rolling Stone at an age when I was struggling for weeks to complete a two-page, double-spaced term paper on Zebulon Pike.

He was marrying one of the hottest women in rock (guitarist Nancy Wilson of Heart) at an age when I was finally just making some headway on my acne.

He's now the Dylan of marrying songs and film scenes at an age when I'll be just happy to hear them.
________

I've seen Crowe in person, twice. The first was going into The Roxy to watch My Morning Jacket as I stood outside without a ticket. (Ticketholders Mr. & Mrs. Satisfied '75 were at that show.) The second was at the Ford Amphitheatre as he walked down the aisle to his better seats to watch Patty Griffin perform.

My Morning Jacket and Patty Griffin both appear on the soundtrack to Crowe's latest movie, Elizabethtown. Members of MMJ and Griffin also make appearances in the film.

________

To promote the movie, Crowe has contributed a wonderful article ("Moviemaking, from the soundtrack up") to today's Los Angeles Times. The piece touches on so many great moments in films (a number of which Crowe was directly involved) made powerful by songs.

Here are some highlights:
  • In the classic boombox scene in Say Anything - the song that John Cusack was actually playing during the filming was "Bonin' in the Boneyard" by one of his favorite bands (and mine), Fishbone.
  • Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers' '87 song "It'll All Work Out" plays during a key scene in Crowe's latest movie and, along with My Morning Jacket's "I Will Be There When You Die," was a key inspiration for the film.
  • The quote that titles this blog entry is from Jackson Browne about the use of one of his songs in a Crowe-involved film.

Read Crowe's full article here and find out which fast-times film appearance Browne is referencing.

________

There are two other scenes in the last few years that I love and that weren't mentioned in the article.

  • The final scene in Lost in Translation where Bill Murray whispers something (inaudible to the audience) into Scarlett Johansson's ear and seconds later The Jesus & Mary Chain's "Just Like Honey" kicks in.
  • Another late-in-the-film scene, this time in Richard Linklater's underappreciated Before Sunset. Without giving away too much, it includes a mesmerizing performance by Julie Delpy and the sound of husky-voiced beauty Nina Simone singing, "Just in Time."

________

The soundtrack for today's entry.

"Bonin' in the Boneyard" - Fishbone

"It'll All Work Out" - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers

"I Will Be There When You Die" - My Morning Jacket

"Just Like Honey" - The Jesus & Mary Chain

"Just in Time" - Nina Simone **This song did not appear on the Before Sunset soundtrack due to money or lack thereof. This version, heard in the film, comes from Simone's The Tomato Collection.

21 Comments:

At 3:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Blog! I like the concept. I will be back to check you out and see if you have made any new changes. If you are interested, I have a verizon cellular phone site. Perfect for those interested in or looking for verizon cellular phone
Come and check it out if you get time :-)

 
At 9:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

as triple j knows, i'm a big jackson browe fan (maybe the only one, these days, other than some guy in Germany), but even if "Somebody's Baby" hadn't been tied to premature ejactulation, it's still a cheesy song...

Also, a great movie with a great soundtrack is Hal Ashby's Coming Home, with Jon Voigt and Jane Fonda...

 
At 2:14 PM, Blogger Scrubby Nub and The Bothered Brigade said...

Quentin Tarantino is also a genius when it comes to this as are the Coen Brothers (at times).

Great post and great article by Cameron Crowe.

 
At 1:02 AM, Blogger Satisfied '75 said...

you nailed this one -- I agree 100% on the Before Sunset and Lost In Translation picks.

How about soundgarden when brad pitts getting high in True Romance?

 
At 7:10 AM, Blogger jsbankston said...

Wow,I don't remember the Soundgarden music in that "True Romance" scene. I remember the classical music with Hopper and Walken, I remember Hopper singing "A Little Bitty Tear." And I remember that music in the final scene.

Seems I read an interview with someone who recently did a picture with Scarlett Johansson and he asked her what it was Murray whispered in her ear, but she wouldn't tell.

As for "Fast Times," every time I hear "Moving in Stereo" (not that I hear it that much these days) I always associaite it with Phoebe Cates emerging slow-mo from the pool while goofy Judge Reinhold is jerking his gherkin.

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger Luke said...

I'm also a big Jackson Browne fan (first album owned: "The Pretender"...how weird is that for a 10-year-old kid whose friends were into .38 Special and such?!). When talking about "Somebody's Baby" to that same Jann Wenner rag TripleJ is always shilling, Browne said, "It's hard to write about so little." I couldn't have agreed more...the song sucks. So what does he do next time I see him out on tour (Great Woods Amphitheater, outside Boston, on the "Lives in the Balance" tour)? He does that song for his freakin' encore. Needless to say, I left very disappointed.

Coulda been worse, I suppose...coulda been "Lawyers in Love."

 
At 5:09 PM, Blogger jsbankston said...

The first two albums I bought with my own money (simultaneously) were Johnny Cash "Live at San Quentin" and Otto Klemperer (father of Werner of "Hogan's Heroes" fame) conducting Richard Wagner overtures and preludes. And I've said that I've pretty much steered my life and fashioned my personality and tastes between those two poles, those peculiar bedfellows, of Cash and Wagner.

 
At 6:22 PM, Blogger Luke said...

Otto was Werner's father?! Huh. How 'bout that?! I never knew. Thanks, Bankston...learn somethin' new everyday.

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger jsbankston said...

There's no truth to the rumor, though, that Otto ended every performance with "Diiiiiisssssssssssmiiiiiiiisssssed."

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger musica said...

Hey, I was searching blogs, and came onto yours, and I like it. I kinda landed here on accident while searching for something esle, but nice blog.. I got you bookmarked.
If you got time , go visit my site, it´s about premature ejaculation cure It pretty much covers premature ejaculation cure and other similar topics available.

 
At 10:28 PM, Blogger musica said...

Hey, I was searching blogs, and came onto yours, and I like it. I kinda landed here on accident while searching for something esle, but nice blog.. I got you bookmarked.
If you got time , go visit my site, it´s about stop premature ejaculation It pretty much covers stop premature ejaculation and other similar topics available.

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger musica said...

Hey, I was searching blogs, and came onto yours, and I like it. I kinda landed here on accident while searching for something esle, but nice blog.. I got you bookmarked.
If you got time , go visit my site, it´s about premature ejaculation treatment It pretty much covers premature ejaculation treatment and other similar topics available.

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger musica said...

Hey, I was searching blogs, and came onto yours, and I like it. I kinda landed here on accident while searching for something esle, but nice blog.. I got you bookmarked.
If you got time , go visit my site, it´s about premature ejaculation treatment It pretty much covers premature ejaculation treatment and other similar topics available.

 
At 6:47 AM, Blogger musica said...

Hey, I was searching blogs, and came onto yours, and I like it. I kinda landed here on accident while searching for something esle, but nice blog.. I got you bookmarked.
If you got time , go visit my site, it´s about stop premature ejaculation It pretty much covers stop premature ejaculation and other similar topics available.

 
At 8:04 AM, Blogger usersanonimos said...

Hey, I was searching blogs, and came onto yours, and I like it. I kinda landed here on accident while searching for something esle, but nice blog.. I got you bookmarked.
If you got time , go visit my site, it´s about premature ejaculation help It pretty much covers premature ejaculation help and other similar topics available.

 
At 5:46 AM, Blogger usersanonimos said...

Hey, I was searching blogs, and came onto yours, and I like it. I kinda landed here on accident while searching for something esle, but nice blog.. I got you bookmarked.
If you got time , go visit my site, it´s about prevent premature ejaculation It pretty much covers prevent premature ejaculation and other similar topics available.

 
At 2:32 PM, Blogger musica said...

Hey, I was searching blogs, and came onto yours, and I like it. I kinda landed here on accident while searching for something esle, but nice blog.. I got you bookmarked.
If you got time , go visit my site, it´s about premature ejaculation It pretty much covers premature ejaculation and other similar topics available.

 
At 5:39 PM, Blogger usersanonimos said...

Hey, I was searching blogs, and came onto yours, and I like it. I kinda landed here on accident while searching for something esle, but nice blog.. I got you bookmarked.
If you got time , go visit my site, it´s about premature ejaculation help It pretty much covers premature ejaculation help and other similar topics available.

 
At 7:00 AM, Blogger usersanonimos said...

Hey, I was searching blogs, and came onto yours, and I like it. I kinda landed here on accident while searching for something esle, but nice blog.. I got you bookmarked.
If you got time , go visit my site, it´s about premature ejaculation help It pretty much covers premature ejaculation help and other similar topics available.

 
At 6:17 AM, Blogger musica said...

Hey, I was searching blogs, and came onto yours, and I like it. I kinda landed here on accident while searching for something esle, but nice blog.. I got you bookmarked.
If you got time , go visit my site, it´s about stop premature ejaculation It pretty much covers stop premature ejaculation and other similar topics available.

 
At 6:09 AM, Blogger musica said...

Hey, I was searching blogs, and came onto yours, and I like it. I kinda landed here on accident while searching for something esle, but nice blog.. I got you bookmarked.
If you got time , go visit my site, it´s about stop premature ejaculation It pretty much covers stop premature ejaculation and other similar topics available.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker