Monday, November 14, 2005

"I Saw" Update

Here's a story.

There is a place down the block from my house. I go there to eat, in large part, because no one else is there.

It's around the corner from a famous gym. And in May, they set up a sushi bar. Things started to get busy. Yet, I remained loyal, and just got there earlier in the week.

Tonight was like the old days. Almost.

I was taking in the last paragraphs of a profile of Steve Buscemi in the latest New Yorker.

(Buscemi got hit by a bus as a kid. Cracked his skull. Years later and as a result of this accident, the city funded $6,000 worth of Lee Strasberg Theatre training. Grabbed attention as a standup/performance artist in the East Village. Took a day job as a probationer with Little Italy's Engine Company 55. Married. Landed the role of Mr. Pink. Got fame. Had son. Moved to a brownstone in Brooklyn. Drives a Volkswagen stationwagon.)

Over my left shoulder, ordering a 'large coke' and something for a fit, female 80-lb'er was Tom 'Tiny' Lister Jr. How quickly I went from reading about Buscemi to feeling like Buscemi at the corner of the Trees Lounge bar.

I couldn't tell if Tiny's eye was fucked up. Always thought it was. Impression: damn big, seemingly damn nice. That bellowing voice sounds even "I'm-taller-than-you" in person.

_________

Anyway, I can already hear it now from Anonymous aka Mr. It'sAColdColdWorldAndI'mNotHandingOutBlankets, but it has been an odd couple of weeks for sightings. Here's who I saw in just the last two weeks:

  • Martin Bashir dining with another male journalist-type at Ocean and Vine in Santa Monica.
  • Trey Anastasio, with two friends, coming out of Tower on Sunset with CDs in hand.
  • Bret Michaels, middle of the day, getting into a silver Mercedes a block from the Whisky A Go Go as others waited with audio equipment.
  • Anthony Kiedis sitting with friends at the Coffee Bean on Sunset, facing the doorway, watching women walk in and out.
  • Few days later, same Coffee Bean, Angelyne pulling up in a pink Corvette with the CA license plate, ANGELYNE.

14 Comments:

At 12:33 AM, Blogger Satisfied '75 said...

there is a time when i would have freaked to have seen the phish dude in public.

 
At 8:37 AM, Blogger Tara said...

Didn't you have some "I saw" episodes when you were in Austin?

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger TripleJ said...

Ah yes ... almost forgot. Topher Grace with "Girls Gone Wild"'s Joe Francis and plenty of women, at The Foundation.

 
At 9:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

INT. COFFEE BEAN AND TEA LEAF.

Triple J, next to Anonymous, points vaguely through the window in the direction of the parking lot or sidewalk - it's hard to tell where.

TRIPLE J
(whispers)
There's Phil Hopedalewitz, the drummer for Boogaloo Skivvies.

ANONYMOUS
Boogaloo Skivvies?

TRIPLE J
What? Boogaloo Skivvies! That album "Binders and Rubber Bands"? C'mon, they were back-up for Emmylou Harris in early '80s? You know them. You do. That's their drummer.

Anonymous moves off to place his order, but Triple J remains fixed, staring out at the parking lot of possibilities and (semi) fame just beyond the glass.

TRIPLE J
(quietly)
What a town. Can't wait to post on my blog.

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger tj1972 said...

Anonymous, you had me rolling there. Been in your shoes before. Triple J's ability to pick someone like Tom Lister out of a crowd continues to amaze me.

Satisfied '75, have to admit, I would still get a little giddy to see his red head bobbing down the street. Can't help it.

 
At 9:33 AM, Blogger jsbankston said...

Don't know Tiny Lister. Sonny Liston maybe....

Wasn't Topher Grace the only one of the younger cast members of "That 70s Show" not to get infected with Scientology or Kabbalah/Demi Moore cooties? (FYI, I have massive respect for the real Kabbalah and genuine Jewish mysticism, but not the money-grubbing cult that has co-opted the name.)

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger jsbankston said...

So what the hell, is there a "Triple J LA Star-Fucker Tour" I can sign up for with my travel agent or do you just move in incredibly cool circles or something?

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger Martin McFriend said...

A Zeus sighting. Nice work. This week I also saw a famous wrestler at a restaurant. Sat right next to Stone Cold Steve Austin at a sushi bar in Playa del Rey.

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger TripleJ said...

Ah Marty, finally a man of refined tastes who can appreciate my talents and sighting.

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger CHW said...

Man, the last sighting I had was four years ago where I saw Danny Glover at the ticket counter in Portland International Airport. I need to get down to L.A.

 
At 7:02 AM, Blogger jsbankston said...

An ex-co-worker told me that about a decade ago she and a friend were in Prague when that was just heating up as the place to visit. They went to a crowded cafe and the staff there started seating strangers together at tables.

My co-worker and her friend were soon joined by an Englishman, who started acting as if they should know him, but in fact, they had no idea who he was. He introduced himself as Richard E. Grant and even then they were clueless.

And I think I've told my story about Allen Ginsburg and another ex-co-worker, haven't I? I rarely have brushes with fame myself.

 
At 7:15 AM, Blogger jsbankston said...

Excuse me, Ginsberg. Uh-uh, Mother-m-mother, uh, what is the phrase? She isn't quite herself today.

 
At 11:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

since we're on the topic...last week i discovered that the grandfather of one of the teammates on my daughter's soccer team (she's 9) is gabriel garcia marquez. her father (garcia marquez's son) is a tv/film director. I think his most recent project is Nine Lives. He also directed some episodes of six feet under.

 
At 12:16 AM, Blogger jsbankston said...

Yeah, I vaguely recall reading somewhere Garcia Marquez had a son who was a director, based at one time out of Miami, I think.

For some reason I can't get the image out of my head from an "MST 3K" episode where a bus was shown driving through some back road in South or Central American and Joel and the 'bots started singing, "100 Years of Solitude, 100 Years of Solitude, Take one down, pass it around, 99 Years of Solitude...."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker