Thursday, December 01, 2005

Rare, Rare Find: Kacy Crowley

"Bob Dylan with tits ... " - record industry executive

__________

These are the words Kacy Crowley chooses to quote on the homepage of her site. My guess, it's half tongue-in-cheek.

Crowley came to Austin in the '90s. Landed a deal with Atlantic and put out the better-than-Liz Phair release, Anchorless. She got a lot of hype and sold few records outside of Texas. Crowley recorded a second album for Atlantic under the helm of underrated producer Fred Mahr (Luna, Lou Reed). It never got released. Today, she puts out albums on indie labels and does the I-35 tour circuit between Austin and Dallas.

Me, well I've always thought of Crowley as Paul Westerberg with a prettier voice ... and tits.

Here's the evidence:

"Rebellious" Anchorless (Austin, 1997)
This song charts Crowley's life and damn if you don't believe her when she sings, "We do life until we are sore."

"Kind of Perfect" Moodswings (Austin, 2004)
I heard when Austin's most popular songwriter Bob Schneider got married (post-Sandra Bullock), he asked Crowley to sing this song at his wedding. I can see why.

3 Comments:

At 9:38 AM, Blogger Luke said...

That MBA-style job of yours is making you lose your touch...the phrase is "tongue-in-cheek."

Bob Schneider got married? Hearts must have broken all over Austin with that news.

I have to confess: no real experience with Kacy Crowley other than what I heard on KGSR back in '99-2000.

 
At 9:47 AM, Blogger TripleJ said...

You got me. Thanks to the web - I caught and corrected my mistake.

Download these tracks, I would bet you'd like her.

I bet someone else knows the story. But, I think after Bullock left Bob - he went back to his long-time girlfriend and married her.

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger tj1972 said...

Ever since you introduced me to her music, she's had a continuous loop on my favorites playlist. Love "Kind of Perfect."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker