Sunday, January 22, 2006

Jingle this

Lenny Kravitz recorded a song (ad) for Absolut. Jack White recorded a song (ad) for Coke.

Rather than hear my words on this, here are their words.

Lenny Kravitz on the Absolut ad:
" [I was] inspired by the brand's core values of clarity, simplicity and perfection. There's nothing more simple, clear or perfect than the essence of true love ... Once I felt that, the track just came." - press release

Jack White on the Coke ad:
"I've written a song and I wrote it really quickly. It's an interesting commercial that's been made. I certainly wouldn't want a song that I'd already written to be used on a commercial. That seems strange. [But] to be asked to write something particular along one theme of love in a worldwide form that I'm not really used to appealed to me." - NME.com

___________


"Breathe" (Absolut ad) - Lenny Kravitz

5 Comments:

At 7:54 PM, Blogger SportyChick said...

Ow, that hurt my ears. "I was inspired by the brand's ability to pay me...." is more like it. Yeesh. And the worst part is that the jingle is actually better than some of his recent garbage. And to think I used to be a fan!

iTunes must be getting a kickback too, it took four clicks "yes, yes, yes" to move it to the trash bin.

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger jsbankston said...

Absolut is not the bringer of true love, rather, it is an agent of drunkenness that leads to blind, best-forgotten fucks and unwanted babies, when it does knock "Little Elvis" down for the count entirely. Just like Martha said, "Never mix, never worry."

 
At 10:28 PM, Blogger jsbankston said...

I've never paid much attention to Lenny Kravitz either way (I find it hard to take anyone with a nose ring seriously), but he used to own a very cool bachelor pad in Miami, complete with an entrance tunnel lined with fake white fur, and lots of make-out nooks. Rarely have I seen a house that so perfectly suited its owner.

Click on thumbnails for enlargements:

http://home.planet.nl/~kravitz/
images/house.html

 
At 4:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

agree with sportychick...i don't mind him writing/performing for absolut, we all want the cash, but why the dishonesty...if you can't come clean about the reasons, then just stay quiet and collect the paycheck...but then, knowing that press releases are never written by the person quoted, my guess is someone from absolut made that line up and lenny's "people" signed off as part of some contractual commitment...

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger jsbankston said...

At least the red and white of Coca-Cola matched the old White Stripes look, before Jack adopted this Vincent Price/Edwardian pimp/riverboat gambler look. But I can't fault him--I've wanted to bring back the frock coat for years, but better a tall, skinny guy like JW than a short, fat one like me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker